Installing SetSeed on a cPanel® based server
If your hosting provider uses cPanel, this guide will walk you through the process of installing SetSeed and setting up the example website. It covers creating MySQL databases and setting up additional domains with your hosting account.
cPanel requirements. Your cPanel account will need to let you create at least 2 databases to install SetSeed and import the example site. You'll then need to be able to create additional MySQL databases for each extra site you wish to create using SetSeed.
On this page:
- Installing SetSeed
- Importing the example website using the SetSeed Hub
- Configure your server to use a preview URL
- Creating a new website of your own in the SetSeed Hub
- Using a live domain name for a website
Important: You need to install SetSeed directly into the top level of your domain. SetSeed cannot run in a subfolder on your server. See this FAQ for more information. It's also important that your web space doesn't have any other files or folders in place already as SetSeed will prevent access to those pages once installed. (It's ok if your document root contains some cPanel default folders like 'cgi-bin' though)
1) Download the latest version of SetSeed to your computer.
2) Unzip the download archive. You should then see a folder called SetSeed-#.#.# where '#.#.#' represents the SetSeed version that you downloaded.
3) Make sure you have setup a new domain/account with your web host and that you have a cPanel login for this account. This domain will be used as your main SetSeed server address and will be used to create preview URLs for your websites.
4) Using your favourite FTP application, connect to your web server and navigate to your Document Root. This is usually called 'public_html' on cPanel servers. You may also be familiar with using the 'www' folder shortcut to this folder.
5) Upload the contents of the 'SetSeed-#.#.#' folder that you unzipped in step 2 to the document root folder on your web server.
6) Visit your web server domain in your browser and click 'Install'.
During installation you will be asked to create a MySQL database and MySQL user to use with SetSeed. To do this you will need to:
Create MySQL Database:
1) Login to your cPanel control panel (use a new window or tab in your browser so you can keep the SetSeed installer open).
2) Click 'MySQL® Databases':
3) Enter a name for your new database in the 'New database' field. After clicking 'Create Database' you should see a success message, you can then click 'Go Back' to return to the main MySQL Databases page.
Create MySQL User:
1) Scroll down to 'MySQL users'. Enter a username for your new MySQL user in the 'Username:' field. Enter a password in the two password fields. After click 'Create User' you should see a success message, you can then click 'Go Back' to return to the main MySQL Databases page.
2) You now need to give privileges to your user to access your database. Scroll down to 'Add user to database'. Choose the user and database you created above in the two drop down menus and click 'Add'.
3) Click the checkbox next to 'All Privileges' and click 'Make Changes'. You should then see a success message.
You can now return to your other browser window or tab to continue with the SetSeed installer. Enter the MySQL database, MySQL username and MySQL password that you created in the above steps when prompted to do so by the installer.
You can usually leave your MySQL host value as 'localhost'. If you see an error saying your MySQL server cannot be found, please contact your host and ask them what your MySQL host address is.
Proceed with the installer. You will be prompted to visit the SetSeed Hub and remove the install folder. You will then be prompted to enter a username and password for your SetSeed Hub.
Once you've done that you will then be able to login to your SetSeed Hub.
Importing the example website using the SetSeed Hub
Once in the Hub, you will see a website shown as being ready to import. The name of the website is called 'examplecom'.
Additional information: The 'examplecom' name is based on the name of the folder in your SetSeed installation that contains all the assets and files relating to this website. If you browse your FTP web space and open the folder called 'sites' inside your document root, you will see a the folder called 'examplecom'. This is included with the SetSeed application so you can quickly get started with SetSeed and try out a fully built website.
1) Click the thumbnail of the website. The Hub will now ask you to enter information for another MySQL database and MySQL user. This is not the same as the MySQL database and user that you created during installation.
3) Return to your SetSeed Hub browser window/tab and enter the MySQL database, username and password information. Then click 'Import'.
4) The example site is now imported into SetSeed and is ready to view. However, before you can view the website you need to setup your server to use the SetSeed preview URL for your example website. See below.
Configure your server to use a preview URL
About SetSeed preview URLs
When you create or import a new website in the Hub, you will decide on a domain name for that website. In the case of the example website, this is automatically set up as 'www.example.com'.
SetSeed will automatically show that website on both the actual domain name (see 'Using a live domain name for a website' below) and a special preview URL which lets you view a website before making it live.
SetSeed preview URLs combine the domain name you use for the website in the Hub with the domain name you originally installed SetSeed on. For example, let's say you installed SetSeed on a domain name like www.setseed.com, the preview URL for your example website would be:
Please note, if you used 'www' at the beginning of your main install domain name you will need to use the www in the preview URL as well, as shown above.
Adding a preview URL in cPanel
There are several ways to create preview URLs using cPanel. The one you can use will depend on the type of account you have. The best way is to try using the following methods in the following order.
If you can't see an option shown in your cPanel control panel, or you get an error saying your account won't let you continue, try the next method. If cPanel doesn't let you use any of the methods, please contact your hosting provider and ask them to enable one of the methods below on your account.
Method 1: Parked Domain
1) Login to your cPanel control panel and click the option called 'Parked Domains'.
2) Under the heading 'Create a new parked domain', enter the full preview URL domain name for your site. For example (replacing the 'www.setseed.com' part with the domain name you used when you installed SetSeed):
3) You should now be able to visit your preview URL in your browser and view the example website.
Method 2: Add-on Domain
Use this method if you are unable to use Parked Domains or you get an error saying you are not allowed to use Parked Domains with Subdomains.
1) Login to your cPanel control panel and click the option called 'Addon Domains'.
2) Enter your full preview URL domain name in the 'New domain name' field. For example:
Replacing the 'www.setseed.com' part with the domain name you used when you installed SetSeed.
3) In 'Subdomain/FTP username' you can enter anything you like - you won't need this information.
4) The 'Document Root' field is very important. After entering your domain in step 2, this field will start with public_html/ and then be followed with a folder based on what you entered in step 2. You need to edit this field so that it just reads:
5) In the 'Password' field, you can enter anything you like, you won't need to use this information.
6) Click 'Add Domain'.
6) You should now be able to visit your preview URL and view the example website.
Creating a new website of your own in the SetSeed Hub
After importing and using the example website you can create your own additional website.
1) Login into your SetSeed Hub and click the 'Add new site' button.
2) You can then enter the domain name you want to use for your website in the URL field. This should be the final, live domain name for your website. Preview URLs will automatically be generated, you don't need to enter development or preview URLs in this field.
4) Enter the MySQL database, user and password you just created in the Hub and click 'Add site' to add the site to SetSeed.
You can then follow the steps above to setup the site's preview URL in your cPanel account (replace 'www.example.com' in the instructions with the domain name you entered in step 2 above) or jump to 'Using a live domain for a website' below to setup the final live domain with your website.
Using a live domain name for a website
When you wish to make a SetSeed website available using its live, final, domain (as opposed to its preview URL) you need to set up its domain in cPanel. This is essentially the same process as setting up the preview URL.
For example, if you created a website in the Hub with a domain name of 'www.phototropic.co', you would replace 'www.example.com.www.setseed.com' with 'www.phototropic.co' wherever it's shown in the instructions. All other steps remain the same.
cPanel® is a trademark of cPanel, Inc.